What is Git?
In simple terms, Git is a free and open-source distributed version control system developed to handle any type of project regardless of its complexity. Linus Torvalds created it in 2005 for handling changes in the Linux kernel after considering other VCS like SCM or Subversion too complicated and slow. Since then, its enormous efficiency and performance quickly made Git a favorite of programmers around the world.
There are many versions of Git that can be used to create public and private repositories, both on-site and in the cloud. Below we list the most used versions today.
- Git 2.29. Originally released in 2020, this version introduced experimental SHA-256 support, negative refspecs, and other improvements. Currently, this version still receives security fixes.
- Git 2.30. Also released in 2020, this version introduced additional enhancements to user diff in PHP, Rust, and CSS. Like version 2.29, it is only receiving security updates.
- Git 2.31. Released in 2021, this is a version that made even more improvements to “gif difftool”. Although recent, this version is already considered obsolete, even though it still receives security fixes.
- Git 2.32. This is the latest version of Git. Released in June 2021, version 2.32 is currently recommended for production environments.
Why Use Git?
Despite its clear dominance among developers, the project has gone to great lengths to keep Git current with a host of benefits.
- Incredible branching capabilities, which sets it apart from any other centralized VCS
- Wide acceptance among developers
- Free and open-source
- Designed to promote collaboration between peers
- Top-notch security
- Great focus on maintaining information integrity
- Reliable and fast even when managing huge repositories
Git Hosting For Developers
It is difficult to imagine a scenario where Git is not present. From CI/CD tools to complex projects involving thousands of lines of code, Git has become one of the main tools that every developer must learn to use. At FullHost, we take the importance of Git in the development process very seriously. For that reason, we put at your disposal high-performance servers with unmatched reliability that guarantees that your repositories will always be safe and ready for your development pipeline.