What is Ruby?
Although the terms Ruby and Ruby on Rails are sometimes used interchangeably, formally Ruby is the object-oriented programming language on which the open-source server-side web application framework Ruby on Rails is based. That said, Rails provides developers with a complete framework where they can structure all the code used to build websites and applications.
As you would expect from an open-source project of the size of Ruby on Rails, there are several versions in use. Here is a summary of the versions currently supported versions of the popular Ruby on Rails web framework.
- Rails 5.2.x. This version released in 2018 still has regular security updates. However, it is recommended to use it with versions of Ruby greater than or equal to 2.2.2 and less than 2.6.0.
- Rails 6.0.x. Released in 2019, this is one of the most popular stable versions even though it only receives security updates.
- Rails 6.1.x. Released in 2020, this is the current version of Ruby on Rails. Among its most notable features is the ability to use the new Ruby version 3.0.x.
- Rails 6.2.0. This is the Alpha version of Rails, which is not recommended for production environments.
Why Use Ruby?
Each developer has their preferences. That is why it is valid to ask, why should you use Ruby and not another framework? Here is a list of the advantages that make Ruby on Rails one of the most used development environments today.
- Cost-effective. Ruby on Rails is 100% open-source and is not tied to any commercial license.
- It’s time-efficient. RoR is known for its multiple turn-key plugins and modules, which significantly reduces time to market.
- Ruby on Rails is based on Model-View-Controller (MVC) architecture
- Ruby is one of the safest frameworks today
- Ruby on Rails is one of the most flexible frameworks that exist today, which allows you to create different types of applications such as eCommerce apps, communication-oriented apps, streaming apps, and more.
- Ruby on Rails benefits from the rich Ruby Gems ecosystem
- It has a fabulous open-source community
Ruby Hosting For Developers
Ruby on Rails is an ideal development environment to meet the huge demand for Software as a Service (SaaS) cloud-based web applications. At FullHost, we are aware of this; for this reason, we put at your disposal a complete Ruby Hosting platform that allows you to take full advantage of the potential of RoR. Our servers offer you High Availability and easy scalability, which together with our transparent pricing makes FullHost one of your best options today.
Contact one of our experts today and start enjoying all the benefits that only FullHost can offer you.